Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Backpack Fairy & First Day Fro Yo

As she does every year, the backpack fairy made a visit to our house the night before the first day of school for the kids. This is a cherished time of year for Alana and Brayden - and anything that helps get them excited for school to start works for me! Of course we started out with putting their backpacks out the night before and putting them to bed (because just like Santa, the backpack fairy doesn't come unless the kids are asleep in bed)
The next morning I woke the kids up as usual,  "Good morning Alana," (and separately Brayden) "The backpack fairy came!!!" I race out to the living room first to capture pictures of everything as its happening. Here's how it went down this year:

Here's Alana's loot. She is all about Diary of a Wimpy Kid right now (as well as other "Diary" type books)
Here's Brayden's loot. He is all about Mario Kart and video games (of course, because he's a 7 year old boy...)
 Brayden was thrilled about his notebook and folders.
 Alana thought the fact that her folders and notebook all had different illustrations was pretty cool.
After packing their lunches and backpacks full of their suff.
 Of course the kids have to endure mom taking pictures of them together (and apart) on the first and last days of school. This is the NEVER popular "act like you like each other" pose.
 Alana showing of what grade she's going into.
 Brayden showing off what grade he's going into.
 I don't know why I have never taken a picture of the kids like this before. We LOVE James McKee!
 Brayden lining up with his class.
 Alana lining up with her class (notice how much taller than everyone else she is?! And look, she's wearing FLAT sandals)
 I decided to start a new first day of school tradition with the kids this year. After school we scoot over to the local frozen yogurt place and they get "First Day Fro Yo". They LOVED it!
 She's so beautiful
 I can't get enough of this face.
 Everything was going good and they were excited when I told them that this would be a new tradition we would do every year after school on the first day...good until Alana got brain freeze. (and me being the mean mommy, I laughed and snapped and picture) :)
I hope the kids enjoy this backpack fairy and first day fro yo tradition enough that it is something they will do with their kids when they become parents. :)

No comments: