Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Back in my day.....

Brayden has been sick with a yucky cough the last couple days, and has stayed home from school. Yesterday it was VERY necessary, but today I left it up to him...its just Kindergarten, and he is the top of all 3 Kindergarten classes....really isn't THAT big of a deal for him to miss a day here or there.
So, I went into his room this morning to wake him up like I always do, "Good morning Bubba. Time for school," and I stand by the door and wait for his feet to touch the floor and walk to me to give him his first hug of the day. I do the same thing with Alana. Every morning. Unless Tim gets the kids up and going and off to school, or unless Alana ends up in the bathroom before I get to her...doesn't happen very often, but it does happen.
ANYWAY, so this morning I go into Brayden's room after waking Alana up and say my usually good mornings...he laid in bed. "Bubba....are you gonna go to school today?"
"No Mama. I still don't feel good."
"Ok, get some more rest."
YESTERDAY, when we went through this, he stayed in bed until RIGHT before I left to take Alana to school (an hour and 15 minutes or so later). Not today. He was up and down to go to the bathroom, to get a drink because his throat was scratchy, to tell me that he wanted eggs for breakfast when I got back from taking Alana to school....so his day started early with being home sick.
I let the kids relax on the couch and watch movies when they are sick. It is less torture for them, and me, if they have something occupying them. BUT, back when I was a kid...if I stayed home, too sick for school, my grandparents would take me to my great grandma's house. BOOORRRRIIIIINNNNNNGGGGG!!!! Great Grandma McAdams wouldn't let us do anything but lay in bed. No TV, no movies, NASTY oatmeal or soup, we had to stay in bed in her spare room that smelled like old people and dust... So, my kids have it good!
They don't get to play video games, play on the computer or pull out new fun stuff. They can play with stuff they already have, and watch movies and rest. You would think I was pulling every single hair out of Brayden's body one at a time today. He has been SO bored. Moping around, at one point he asked to go to school but there would have only been like a half an hour left by the time he got ready and we got there.
So, I think tomorrow he is going to think twice about staying in his nice warm bed, because the bordem...he didn't like it. Just be grateful, son, that you didn't have to go to Grandma McAdams'!

No comments: