Monday, May 09, 2011

Gardening at Great Grama & Grandpa's

I have been wanting to start a garden here at home, but haven't known where to start or even where to plant one. One side of our house gets pretty constant sun, but is all cement (other than along the fence line about a foot wide) and is accessible to our dogs, and the other side of the house has a fair amount of sun but not nearly what we would need for a thriving garden to grow. My grandparents have been aware of my desire to grow a garden as well as "pretty up" my yard, so they decided to help...kinda.
They bought the kids and I one of those little "greenhouse" starters, where there's little soil pockets that you plant your seeds in, water and put the plastic hood on and place it in your window and then transplant them to a larger pot or to the ground once they start to grow, along with some seeds. Pumpkin, carrot, radish and one other that I forgot. We knew we'd be planting the radishes because they grow quickly and I wanted to the kids to see a result of their work FAST! I also had a bag of peas that we planted (I do not really like peas, the kids aren't very crazy about them either, but Tim loves them and swears they are FANTASTIC fresh, so we planted them to try them out and just for him in case the rest of us don't care for them - he is also the only one in our household that likes radishes.)
So one day during spring break the kids and I went to the store and bought them a few gardening tools of their own along with some gloves and planter boxes to plant some other things (flowers) in. They LOVED it and said they wish they could "garden" everyday! This made me wish I had done this a LONG time ago. It took about a week and a half for the radishes and peas we started in our "greenhouse" to be ready to transplant. But where would we do this with our problem of sunlight around our house?!
Well, not only did my grandparents buy us that little greenhouse and seeds to plant, they offered us a little section of our very own to plant in their beautiful garden that they plant in every year. They have TONS of tomatoes, TONS upon TONS of different peppers, lettuce, radishes, watermelon, squash, zucchini, more I am sure I am forgetting, but I think they planted pumpkin this year. They also have a thriving dwarf lemon tree, an apricot tree, a grapefruit tree and ridiculous amounts of roses growing ALL OVER their yard.
So, off we went last week to transplant our babies amongst all of their wonderful goodness! A VERY sunny and warm day for planting! :) I love that I have this picture of my kids with their Great Grandpa Carpenter. Not many kids have Great Grandparents anymore, especially ones that are young enough to be able to do stuff like garden with their young great grandchildren! :) So, here's grandpa showing them how to do it. Brayden had a little bit of a hard time with remembering to hold the "flowering" part of the plant up while he patted down the soil. Grandpa kept saying, hold it up, pat it down...press harder, NOT TOO HARD, no now you gotta press it down harder than that Brayden...NOT TOO HARD THOUGH! You could tell grandpa was getting bugged but he kept his cool. :) Here's Alana transplanting the peas. Grama had finished trimming back some trees from another part of the yard and came over to see and help the kids (since I was just standing their watching and taking pictures) :)
Grandpa told them that they would make sure to help take care of them for us since we don't live there, but we have to come over at least once a week and help water and weed the garden, and of course pick and eat some of the food that's growing! I can't wait! Neither can the kids!!!

No comments: