Sunday, April 22, 2012

Runnin' for Rhett

This morning the kids got to participate in a 5k through an organization called Runnin' for Rhett with their school. There was a boy that was born with Cerebral Palsy that lived until he was 6 or 7 and passed away from complications from the disease. His mother, on the anniversary of his death, ran a 5k in his honor and decided after that to create a "fun run" of sorts where kids could come and run a 5k with their school at no cost to the children. Apparently they only select around a half a dozen schools each year to participate, and James McKee was one of them!

They came and told their son's story and how he was in a wheelchair unable to walk or run or do anything really for himself. The kids came home from school that day telling me all about it and were so excited. The school was going to do training for it twice a week for an hour each day after school to get the kids ready for it. It really was free (aside from the parking as it was downtown) so I didn't see why they couldn't do it.

Tim and I had mentioned here and there about doing it with them, but we waited too long to register and didn't really have the money (almost $40 to run/walk it), nor did we want to spend even more money on a Sunday then we already were because of parking which I thought was free, but wasn't. We didn't worry too much about it as the kids had a group of over 50 other parents and children from the school participating as well.

So, I was up by 5:45am to make the kids some breakfast and make sure they were dressed and lathered up with sunblock before we left. Usually the kids make their own breakfast (before school and otherwise) but I knew they would be dragging even more than usual as I was getting them up almost 45 minutes earlier than they were used to. So a nice hearty breakfast of oatmeal with peanut butter and strawberries for breakfast, helped get them ready to go and pulled myself together.

We got to the Crocker Art Museum Park right around 7:20 (we were 5 minutes late....) to find our school group and check in. The school provided a bandana to each participant. I wasn't sure why, other than because our school is so awesome, they did this. While we were waiting for the run to start I overheard one of the teachers in charge tell one of the students that they have those in case any of the kids get separated from the group. All they'd have to do is find another person with that bandana on and know they would be okay. I love our school. :)

Here are the pictures:

before the run began
 Brayden crossing the finish line. He ran/walked it in 55:45. Not too shabby!
 Brayden with his completion ribbon and the finish line behind him!
 Alana after passing the finish line (there were so many people crossing at the same time as her, we missed the photo op because everyone was in the way...darn it!)
 Alana and her completion ribbon. She finished in 58:35! Great job sweetie!

The kids got their very own t-shirt (and ribbon) and official Capital City Classic marathon bib. They were SO excited! When we had made it back to our car and were headed home I asked them if they had fun. They both, through very exhausted bodies, said yes. I asked them what they didn't like and what they liked about it. They both said they loved the feeling when they finished and hearing people cheer for them, they didn't like how early they had to get up and how tired they were, but they both said they would do it again! :) YAY!!!!!!

I am planning to do the next one with them. Even if I have to crawl across that finish line, I WILL finish a 5k! (maybe even a 10k, half marathon and a marathon someday!) :)

2 comments:

Belinda said...

You will so do a race!!!!!! I know you CAN!

Belinda said...

You will so do a race!!!!!! I know you CAN!