Monday, June 04, 2012

Last Day of School

well, another school year came to a close for the kids on Monday May 21st. (Who ends school on a MONDAY!??? And whats more, school starts on a Thursday... what the heck!?)

Anyway.

I decided to make gifts for each of the kid's teachers this year as each of them had exceptionally good years this year. Alana was in the accelerated 3rd grade class with Mrs. Flink. This is a class that does all of the same curriculum as the other 3rd graders, but they do it at a faster pace which allows them to do extra stuff for the school, like write for the school paper (that gets published in the Elk Grove Citizen - a local newspaper). Alana did very well this year, even earning a 3.5 GPA or higher every trimester so she was awarded the Honor Roll each time. We are very proud.

Brayden's class got off to a great start this year. His teacher, Mrs. Brody, was so great. She loved Brayden very much and when we went in for his beginning of the year parent/teacher conference, she didn't know what to say to us because she thought so highly of him. We found out a day or so later that Mrs. Brody was taking a job at another school so Brayden would be getting a different teacher. He was so sad that Mrs. Brody was leaving. We assured him that whoever was going to take her place would probably be wonderful too. Enter Mrs. Gramm. She took over the class and after a couple of weeks Brayden loved her just like he loved Mrs. Brody. Then, more bad news. Mrs. Gramm was just a temporary replacement and the principal had found another teacher to take her place. Enter Mrs. Downing. The poor thing didn't know what she was up against. The kids in Brayden's class had to re-adjust to not one, not two, but three new teachers, all within the first 2 months of school. I would often witness a very razzled Mrs. Downing when I stopped by the school to help or to pick the kids up. On top of playing musical teachers, the principal, Mr. Looper, got very sick and the kids had a stand in principal from time to time during the third trimester all the way to right before the end of the school year.

So, since they both had such successful years with more challenges, I decided that the kids should give back in a way. So, I made gifts for the teachers.

I cut each teacher's name out of vinyl on the crickit and attached it to sports bottles 
 Then I hot glued Wyler's Light packets around the outside of a water bottle
 Then I put the water bottle with the packets attached inside of the sport bottle
 Then I printed a little paper that said, "It was so REFRESHING having you as my teacher!! Love," and then had the kids sign their names
I also used some scrabble tiles (I have scooped up used scrabble games at thrift stores to use for crafts) and hot glued those to a picture frame and framed the picture I took of each of the kids with their teachers at Open House. One from Alana for Mrs. Flink
 One from Brayden for Mrs. Downing
I had all of this ready and waiting the morning of the last day of school for the kids to take and give to their teachers. But, before they went to school we had a tradition to get to. They got themselves ready, dressed in the same shirts that they wore on the first day of school (the backpack fairy brings them a first day of school outfit/shirt and they wear it the first day of school, for fall pictures and for the last day of school. They can wear them throughout the year too, but we have made it tradition to wear them those three days for sure!) Then the kids have to endure mom taking their pictures before school to compare how much they have grown since the beginning of the year.

Here's Brayden (he's so handsome!)
 And here's Alana (my beautiful girl)
 And a traditional one of the two of them together acting like they like each other.
Off to school they went with their empty backpacks ready to fill with all of their end of the year junk...papers, I meant papers...... :) I walked into class with Brayden to ask his teacher something about his pizza party and when I should bring his in and she was blown away by the gifts in his hands for her. She got the entire classes attention to show them what he had for her and gave him, and me, and big hug. I think that made her feel loved after having such a rough year. :)

After dropping them off I went to the dollar tree to get supplies for a surprise I had planned for the kids for after school. I made the surprise and hung it on the outside of the garage door for the kids to see when we got home. Since it was a minimum day, (last day of school on a Monday AND a minimum day...ugh) I had to leave very shortly after finishing it to pick up and deliver Brayden's pizza to the school and then wait for them to get out. When we got home, they laughed and laughed over what I had made. I, of course, had to get a picture of them with their surprise!
 And then one more of them leaping for joy that school was out for the summer. :)
I am already ready for school to start again. Cabin fever sets in the with kids pretty fast as I am a homebody (hot weather doesn't agree with me either), but hopefully we will have some other things to look forward to this summer to get us out of the house. Here's to a great summer break...and then back to school August 16th.


1 comment:

Amanda said...

Super cute ideas, as usual. The kids definitely look happy about summer vacation! You should have been over there cheering with them!