Leading up to Alana's birthday, when I asked her what she wanted as a gift all she ever said was "Wicked". She received an ipod for Christmas that included the soundtrack to "Wicked" that Tim got me for my birthday last year in addition to two tickets to see the show. She was insanely jealous that I had these tickets and she wasn't invited to go. Tim and I discussed it, and based on what I had read in the book I decided she was too young for it. So she and I talked about it and I told her she needed to stop asking for it and that we would address it again when she was 12 or something.
So when I asked her again what she wanted for her birthday after nixing "Wicked" she was stumped. I try not to sway my kids for birthday presents (because heaven knows I try sometimes with Christmas) but she really couldn't think of anything else. Her heart was so set on seeing that play.
I suggested i tunes gift cards, books and clothes. She said all of that sounded good and told me about a few book titles she was into.
I, being the thrifty shopper that I am, headed to DI and Once Upon A Child to search for clothes. I hit the mother load! A family friend was also going through her own clothes and decided that because Alana is so tall and lean that she would probably fit into some of her outgrown stuff. (mind you, this family friend is 21, not super skinny, but by no means fat) I wasn't sure that these clothes were going to fit Alana anytime soon, but I went over anyway and rummaged through what she had and found some more stuff (including some pajamas that I did not give to her for her birthday)
Brayden asked to go to the store the night before her birthday to get her a present too. I gave him a price limit and he found a few things he thought she'd like. The night before her birthday I laid out her loot on the couch so she would see it all as soon as she got up in the morning.
Here's the corner of the stuff Brayden picked out for her (a pin wheel, Nanny McPhee Returns and a random little Zoobles toy)
Here she is checking out her loot
Opening her present from my dad and his wife (Grandpa Midencé and Grandma Ruth)
Inside was $30 worth of i tunes gift cards. "How did they know I wanted this?!" she asked me
This was the front of their card. Diary of a Wimpy Kid (one of Alana's favorite books)
Alana did a fashion show for me of all of the clothes we got her.
This one was her favorite and she wore it all day :)
I thought this was super cute, so did she :)
Alana's favorite color
I bought this one long before most of the other clothes and was hoping she would want to wear this as her "official" birthday shirt, but I ended up liking the Mickey Mouse one better :)
Sunglasses from Bubba
Alana had been complaining about her vision for a week or two. She said she was having a hard time seeing the board at school and was getting headaches on and off so I decided to take her to the eye doctor. Turns out they had an available appointment on her birthday. The technician checking her out invited me to take this picture. I thought it was cool she did, so I snapped away after that! :)
The doctor decided to dilate Alana's pupils just to make sure everything was fine. This picture was right after they put the solution in BEFORE her pupils dilated. Once that started she was not happy.
VERY happy to report that her eyes are just fine. The doctor said one of her eyes is a little off but because she was what would be considered fine to pass the drivers test she said she didn't need any corrective lenses. Hopefully things stay that way, for a while at least.
I, of course, made Alana's birthday cake. After her fashion show in the morning and falling in love with her Mickey Mouse shirt, Alana requested a Mickey Mouse cake. Aside from his chubby face, I'd say it came out pretty well. :)
For the second year in a row Alana asked for egg rolls for dinner.
Here's our beautiful birthday girl about to blow out her candles. Daddy thought it would be funny to make Mickey look creepy by putting the candles in his eyes. It gave everyone a good laugh.
We had my grandparents, Aunt and Uncle, cousin and my sister in law and niece over to share dinner with us. This is my cousin Ryan (I have called him RyRy for as long as I can remember, so my kids call him that sometimes too. He says aside from my kids, me and one other cousin are the only people allowed to call him that) :) My kids just adore him. I love this picture of the three of them, especially Alana. :)
And here's another one with regular smiles :)
Here's my Aunt Sharon and Uncle Glenn with the kids. I absolutely LOVE them. They have been so loving and supportive through so much for me and my kids and are always so much fun to be around. They often call and ask to borrow my kids during spring break, Christmas break and summer vacation because my Aunt works with kids and she needs her fix :) My kids and I are happy to oblige. :)
This shows their true characters and how much fun they have when they're together. I just love it! I have so many memories of tickle fights and fun with Uncle Glenn and I am so happy my kids will have memories with him like that too.
So, happy birthday Alana! I hope you had fun! :)
Wednesday, July 04, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






































No comments:
Post a Comment